Totally feeling the comfort food vibes right now! This corn chowder is inspired by Fresh Start Fauxmage Monk's Cheddar Style Cheese. This particular variety of Fauxmage is sharp, tangy and smoky and I'm going to say.... super addictive. I could honestly just eat it with a spoon. It lends itself perfectly to this simple vegan corn chowder recipe (not to mention the million other ways one could enjoy Monk's Cheddar). For my chowder, I blitz potatoes into the base to help thicken everything, (leaving some potato chunks whole for texture) then I melt Monk's Cheddar into the base to give the chowder delicious flavour and creaminess. I garnish this bright yellow bowl of happy goodness with extra crumbles of the Fauxmage, chopped scallions, and a sprinkle of smoked paprika. (In my opinion, the garnishes are important to the overall flavour of this dish and I wouldn't skip them......I think I even sprinkled a bit of extra thyme on top once and was enjoying that..sometimes I throw on a few more corn niblets.....more Fauxmage Monk's Cheddar on top though, is a must...)
I like to eat this chowder with a side salad and crusty bread, if you wanted to keep it gluten free a side of corn chips is great too!
Serves: Approx 6, depending on portion size.
Monk’s Cheddar Corn Chowder
1. In a large soup pot over medium heat, cook onion, celery & garlic in a bit of veg oil until softened. Season with S & P
2. Add diced potatoes, veg stock, thyme, turmeric & smoked paprika. Simmer until potatoes are cooked
3. Add corn, lemon juice & 1 container of Monk's Cheddar Fauxmage (reserve 2nd container for garnish). Stir until Fauxmage is fully melted into base. Season with more S & P.
4. Simmer 30 minutes.
5. Using an immersion blender, blitz everything together until chowder is thick but still chunky. Taste & adjust seasonings.
6. Garnish corn chowder with additional Monk’s cheddar, smoked paprika & scallions.
Hey! I'm Trisha